CANADA’S HAZARD COMMUNICATION STANDARD
The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS), is Canada’s hazard communication standard.The key elements of the system are hazard classification, cautionary labeling of containers, the provision of (material) safety data sheets (MSDSs), and worker education programs.
Each provincial, territorial and federal agencies responsible for occupational health and safety has established employer WHMIS requirements within their respective jurisdictions. The Labour Program at Employment and Social Development Canada is responsible for workplaces under federal jurisdiction. These requirements place an onus on employers to ensure that controlled or hazardous products used, stored, handled or disposed of in the workplace are properly labelled, material safety data sheets are made available to workers, and workers receive education and training to ensure the safe storage, handling and use of these products in the workplace. Therefore, WHMIS certification is a mandatory requirement on all jobsites. All Local 1611 members must have a current WHMIS certificate.
WANT MORE INFORMATION? CLICK HERE for the Service Health Canada Workplace Hazardous Materials Information website.
NEED THE GUIDE? CLICK HERE
STEPS TO COMPLETE THE WHMIS EXAM (Must be a Local 1611 member to qualify for WHMIS certification through our Training Plus Department)
1. Once you have read through the study, you can complete the WHMIS exam (below). (The WHMIS exam is not available on mobile devices.)
2. Save the exam to your desktop (right click mouse, click ‘save as’). Open the file to fill out the exam and re-save.
3. Depending on your operating system, you can either attach the saved file in an email or attach the PDF to an email under “File” click on “Attach to Email.”
4. Send your completed exam to the email address: email@example.com
5. You can enter any further information you would like in the body of the email. Then when you have completed the email, click on “SEND.”
(Alternatively, you can print the exam, complete the test and mail it to our Training Department at: #120 – 19092 26th Avenue, Surrey BC, V3Z 3V7.)
Once the completed exam is received by the Training Department, the exam will be marked. Successful participants will be mailed their certification. Individuals who do not successfully complete their exam will be notified by the Training Department Administration.
*Please allow up to fourteen (14) days for exams to be processed.
Do you have question? Call our Training Plus office at 604-538-5101.